A Week in Their Shoes

Before this week, I thought that archeologists just sat around digging up things and playing in a huge "sandbox". Boy was I wrong! This is hard work! We started out each day on the dig at 5:30 AM. The sunrise made it worth it everyday. Monday was rough on me. Thank goodness it was the worst day of the week, weather wise,  and we got it over at the beginning. You are constantly in the sun and we were blessed to have clouds for the most parts on Tuesday-Thursday and even some rain on Wednesday. Each day you worked for a couple of hours, had breakfast around 9, and worked some more until noonish. I'm pretty sure I felt like I was in the gym working out. My muscles are sore and my joints popped all the down the steps off the bus this morning. Our first day in my awesome group was a slight bore. We didn't get to actually start digging for the good stuff until Tuesday. We found some awesome stuff! I never thought I would be so happy to find a pottery handles or pieces of pottery. I love it though! I will never think it's a piece of cake anymore and know that you have to work your tail off to be an archeologist. I think I'm going to stick to my teaching. So to all of those amazing, hard working archeologists out there.... cheers to you! You guys "rock"!







Comments

Popular Posts