Home Sweet Home


Now that I am back home, sitting in the air conditioning, and catching up on my rest after a whirlwind trip for the past 4.5 weeks I am more grateful than ever that I had the opportunity to visit Israel and Jordan to experience different countries and cultures. Being away from home for 4.5 weeks was not easy, as I am the typical American that loves my air conditioning, cable TV, cell phone, and freedom to do what I want, when I want. It also made me realize how hard it must be for refugees that are forced out of their homes to countries that are foreign and unfamiliar. It also made me think of the Palestinians that were forced out of their homes that their families had lived in for generations. Simple things like the lack of familiar foods made me homesick, so I cannot even imagine how hard it is for refugees and those forced out of their homes by politics and war. Everyone should have to experience this as it is just a tiny part of what the people driven from their homes are feeling.

While I was already somewhat knowledgeable about the politics of the area, nothing could prepare me for the experience of it all. Being in Israel and Jordan in person drives home the things I read about in the paper, the things I hear about in the news. It also showed me things that are not covered in the paper, or the news. Seeing and experiencing this area first hand has given me more insight and understanding of the issues of the area. However, it is still very superficial and I will never really understand it as well as I would like. But that may never be possible since I am not from the area and do not experience the politics and conflicts first hand.

I would encourage as many people as possible to visit these two countries. Make sure you visit both together to get both sides of the story here in this region. Even though this is only the story of two countries in the region, it is still more information and experience than anyone will get from sitting at home, in the air conditioning, resting on their well-fed American backside. Thanks to Israel and Jordan for the experience and the education.

Comments

Popular Posts