Huffing and Puffing - An out of shape teacher's perspective of Jerusalem


I was ecstatic when I discovered I was accepted into one of the 12 spots for this trip! This had been a dream of mine since I was a little girl.  I was going to see Biblical sites and walk where Jesus walked! I knew that I was not in the best of shape, but that I would be okay walking around Jerusalem, the worst would just be the heat.  That was fine…just be sure to drink lots of water.  Check! The first day was HOT! We were to walk around the Old City and explore some of the sites within the walls. This was so much fun!   Little did I know that the topography of the Old City would be filled with many inclines and steps and outside the “Old City” walls were steep hills.  It is a mountainous region! (I should have done my homework!)  My legs learned quickly that when you are going down, you eventually have to come back up.  This can get you winded, to say the least, if you are not used to going up and down stairs and carrying a backpack. That first day I sucked in so much air and drank so much water (4 ½ Liters) in just that one “outing” (8:00-4:00) that I questioned what I had gotten myself into.  After 4 days of walking around Jerusalem, my knee was telling me it had enough of the walking. Day 5 was a free day and the group wanted to go to The Mount of Olives (now a cemetery) and The Garden of Gethsemane. I did too…those were the last two places Jesus had been before Judas betrayed him.  So off we went! I was struggling going down the hill from the Lions Gate of the Old City. I wondered if I could make it up the LARGE hill to the Mount of Olives. I did with a few breaks along the way and the view of Jerusalem was well worth it! Then came the coming down part…oh my …the pain to the knee…every step more pain...I silently cried…sudden sharp shooting pain to my toes…toes tingling…every step more pain…crying out loud…sitting down…get a cab?... friend to the rescue!  A sweet lady that I had just met prior to this trip suggested someone else carry my backpack and camera, put my arm around her shoulder and they would get us down. Once down from the garden, going back to the Albright Institute would all be uphill. Painful walking but not excruciating like going down hills.  I managed to make it to the Albright with one of the guys on the trip who had also had enough walking for the day. We got back and shared pita bread and some of the best hummus I have ever tasted.  I discovered two of the nicest friends I could have asked or hoped to find on this trip so far from home…Cody and Alexis you are my heroes for this leg of the trip! I have such overwhelming feelings about all the places we have visited and the sights we have seen, but to have been where Jesus prayed and then was arrested…well...this was my favorite despite the knee pain for the next few days!
Lion's Gate 



Lion's Gate doors

The only covered gate of the 4 entrances.

Garden of Gethsemane




Eastern Gate to the Temple Mount which has been closed off. This picture was taken from the Garden of Gethsemane.

You can tell these Olive trees are old!

There is a church that has been built on top of the rock believed to be the one Jesus Prayed over.  You can go up and touch it and pray. I did but was not allowed to take pictures any closer that this!

Can't really tell it by this pic, but this is the long curvy road to the top of The Mount of Olives.  It is extremely steep and does have handrails to use as well as benches to sit on. I was determined not to let these older people coming down beat me at doing this with my knee pain!  So tired going up I didn't think of taking pictures as I climbed! Sorry! This hillside is no longer covered in Olive trees. It is now full of tombs...one giant cemetery! 

So here is what you do see going up!

Overlooking what would have been King David's Jerusalem.

I must say it is a beautiful building. If you want to talk about it, we can do that in private!

Looking at the Temple Mount from the top of The Mount of Olives.

Comments

Popular Posts