Is This Real Life?

I can't believe our time in Israel finally came to an end. It was such a neat place where I was able to learn so much!
After a three hour bus drive, we made our way into Jordan. I really didn't know what to expect when we got there, but we were welcomed with plenty of smiles and hospitality. Our first stop was to pick up the jeeps that we'd ride in to get to Rainbow Camp. I've never really seen a desert that up close, so I was enjoying taking in all the sights.

 When we got to the camp we were assigned tents that we'd sleep in. The tents had two beds and not a lot of air flow, but they were very cute. After a quick lunch we were headed on a two hour jeep tour of the desert.

I can't even put into words that experience. I just kept saying, "Is this real life?" We were able to get out several times to climb and look at different areas. When we got to Lawrence's House we all sat on the rocks and enjoyed the beauty. Before we left, our tour guide told us to shout with him on the count of three and to listen quietly. Once we shouted we could hear our voices echo three times. It was pretty amazing.
                      


Once we got back to our camp we sat down for a little bit and then went to find the perfect spot to watch the sunset. Watching the sun shine different shades across the rocky mountains was just breathtaking. Once the sun finished setting we headed to the large tent to eat dinner. The food was actually prepared underground. We had rice, chicken, and vegetables. It was all so delicious. 

After dinner we all sat around drinking hot tea and talking. They even turned off the large tent's lights  so we could see the stars better. I've never seen stars that shined that bright. Again, I kept asking myself, "Is this real life?" Here I am, laying under the stars in Wadi Rum. Crazy. After several minutes of taking in the night's sky, one of the Bedouin men at the campsite brought a surprise for us all. It was a hedgehog that he found! I've never held a hedgehog before so I was a little... a lot nervous about holding it. I knew if I said no, I'd regret it. I'm glad I did it! 

Since the stars were just so perfect, several of us decided to sleep outside. We gathered cushions, blankets, and pillows and settled in for the night. It was a pretty awesome view to fall asleep to.
The next morning we were all up bright and early. We ate a quick breakfast and loaded into the trucks. I hated to say goodbye to such a beautiful place, but I'm just so happy that I was able to experience it!

Comments

Popular Posts