Still Huffing and Puffing! Loving the Northern tour of Israel!

Yes, I am still here....huffing and puffing...can you hear me? No? That's good, that means that I was getting better at this walking in the heat! The key to survival in the Middle East during the Summer is lots of water and a hat! Traveling to the northern part of Israel was exciting. In keeping with my theme of what I always wanted to do was follow Jesus. So let me share a few places that we visited, and has made Jesus' call to Peter and Andrew to follow him, so alive for me now! We traveled to the city of Tiberius where we stayed at a hostel known as Casa Nova.  At this hostel there is a restored Crusader Chapel in the courtyard. One morning after eating breakfast  I realized I could cross off something on my bucket list...to sing the Lord's Prayer. Singing in an old church in the Holy Land has been on my bucket list for a while now.  So Ronda agreed to video me singing and the chapel so that you can see the beauty of the chapel.  I apologize now for the way I look...as I said it was spontaneous. 



The Casa Nova sits behind the boardwalk on the Sea of Galilee.  Let me just say it is really a large lake, but if you were to drive around it you would understand why they call it a sea.  It also is surrounded by mountains, so the storms that pass over the mountains can bring about strong winds and can create waves like that on the ocean.  So guess what else I get to cross off my list? You guessed it...I swam in the Sea of Galilee!  I will not recount the New Testament stories that pertain to this area right now. I will let you go read your Bible and discover that yourself.  So here are some pics of the sea and us swimming/goofing off.



Sunrise at the Sea of Galilee down on the boardwalk! I got up super early and then there was cloud cover, but it is still great to say I saw the sun come up over the Sea of Galilee!

Yes, I'm the goob with big floppy hat! And there was lots of skipping stones!



My next favorite place on the Sea of Galilee is the small town of Capernaum. This is where Peter and Andrew were when Jesus called to them and said to follow him and he would make them fishers of men.  There is a church built above where it is believed that Peter's house stood.  Then beside this church is a synagogue where Jesus would have read and did many of his teachings. Something that you must realize, is there were many different cultures and groups of people in this fishing village away from the main cities of the day.  These people would have been very eager to hear what Jesus was teaching since there would not have been much teaching to these other groups of people. 
The picture on top is the current church built above the remains of what is believed as Peter's house and the remains of the first churches that were built around it in an octagonal shape.  

Inside the church over Peter's house.

The Synagogue - Oh look Ms. Karen your turtle made the blog!


Standing by the Sea of Galilee where Jesus would have called to Peter and Andrew!


Love the mosaic! This is a reproduction of the one from the 5th c church that was built above Peter's house! I have been amazed by the mosaics in Israel. Maybe I need to post just pics of all the mosaics I have seen! 



At some religious sights you must cover past your knees and your shoulders or they will not allow you in!







Comments

Popular Posts